“Learn About” Questions
- What is a GED?
- Why do some people take the GED instead of finishing high school?
- What are some potential barriers that prevent individuals from staying in high school through their senior year?
“Learn From” Questions
- Was my experience of high school something I would describe as traditional? Why or why not?
- What kind of barriers have been present in my life in the area of education?
- Does learning come easily to me? Why or why not?
I was in the Air Force stationed in Montana when I took my GED. I hear about these people studying, I mean, a long study just to pass a GED. They came to me one morning, OK, you’re gonna take your test. And I took it and passed. And that was my high school. I went to quite a few high schools in that twelve month… eighteen month… for sure, twenty-four month period. I went to school and stayed with some relatives in Oakland, California. That was a good experience. But anyway, all of that was done kinda in the past. And I’d made my mind up to come to New York or the Bay area in California and I wound up coming here. Brother has always been super helpful in terms of being a positive person in my life. I stayed with him about a year when I first left Little Rock and he moved to Brooklyn then I moved on to Brooklyn. But with all these experiences and ways of life that me, Sister, Brother, you know, we are doing I think not too bad now. Again, we are fairly healthy for where we are in this world, you know, and we are free.