“Learn About” Questions
- What caused WWI to start and why was it fought?
- What is the quarter master corps?
- What was happening in France during WWI?
“Learn From” Questions
- Am I or any of my family members a veteran? How have veterans impacted my life?
- Have I ever fought or advocated for something or someone other than myself? What was the experience like and how did it impact me?
- How do I feel about my right to vote? Is voting something I value?
When I talk about the neighborhood, my dad had died when I was 13 and he, and in fact this past week, all of the remembrances about WWI. He was a WWI veteran. And I always thought that, he went to France in fact, the area of France and Germany that President Trump talked about, was the area that he fought, that he was involved in. He was in the quarter master corps. I’m sure they were carrying things but it always struck me as ironic that he went all the way to France to help liberate the French and when he came back to Arkansas, he couldn’t vote. He couldn’t do a number of things. And one of the other things he did was that he had a group of men who served, who were waiters, and they were quite popular because of the way he organized it and the quality of service that they did. He was in fairly big demand. In fact, today he could probably run a catering service and do quite well with it. Anyway, that was his additional income that allowed us to think that we were ‘leaving it to Beaver’ or something and having this great existence.