“Learn About” Questions
- What is the Ku Klux Klan?
- What does it mean to be a member of the Klan?
- How do Klan members dress when they gather? Why?
“Learn From” Questions
- Have I ever experienced watching something happen to someone else that I didn’t agree with? How did I respond?
- Do I find it easy to stand up for what I believe in even when it is hard? Why or why not?
You know, Brother and I one time worked for Baker’s Shoe Store, never forget, the shoe store in downtown Little Rock. I said Brother and I, they let Brother sell shoes to black women in the back of the store and I was like a stock person. The guy that was the manager of store was in the Klan. They had a march one day down Main Street and this same guy was out there and if I remember correctly, they didn’t cover their faces. They had the little hats on. But the guy, Baker Shoe Store, Brother and I worked together there one time. But he could sell shoes to black women in the back of the store and I was to do the stock. But the guy that ran that store… But those were the days. That’s how it was. Jerry Cook’s uncle, Melody Music Store, used to be across the street from Pfeiffer and Kempner. But I used to get all my jazz LPs. I started collecting jazz LPs way back.