“Learn About” Questions
- Who was Emmett Till, and what are the details surrounding his murder?
- What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
- What role did Jackie Robinson play in the Civil Rights Movement?
“Learn From” Questions
- Have I ever been a part of a movement to change something in the status quo? What role did I play?
- Do I see myself as an advocate for others? In what way?
- What kinds of social issues am I most drawn to support? Why?
And it was always in my head why my classmates didn’t see the same change I saw because I didn’t think it was, I mean, we had witnessed the Emmett Till murder, we had the Montgomery bus boycott had begun. I mentioned Jackie Robinson and the changes that were going on in other places around the country and I just thought everybody else could see the same picture that I could see. I mean, it was like the circus was coming to town. You couldn’t see these big animals and the kaleidoscope and all of that, but somehow we had visionaries in our families who really thought that this was the right thing to do and they stood by us.